“From healthy lifestyle choices, eating healthy foods, and keeping a positive attitude, there are many things you can do to boost your health status this year” Kepha Nyanumba- Nutritionist Afya Pap.
Everyone wants to be healthy. It is a state of complete physical, mental, and social well being, and not merely the absence of disease (WHO). Your health status is closely associated with the steps you take to maintain optimum health so that you can perform to your absolute best as much as possible. From healthy lifestyle choices, eating healthy foods, and keeping a positive attitude, there are many things you can do to boost your health status this year. Drinking plenty of water is very important for many reasons. It prevents you from becoming dehydrated, and helps with detoxification of your body. It is also helpful to watch what goes into your body. Processed foods, artificial sugars, food colorings, and artificial flavorings can all be harmful to your body and reduce your chances of achieving the full benefits of a healthy lifestyle.
Kick Stress Out of Your Life
One resolution that could assist you this year is making your life less stressful. Stress refers to the body’s response to things it perceives as abnormal. Modern life, with its quick pace, personal ambitions, social pressures, environmental poisons and our orientation to sedentary mental work, presents almost all of us with constantly stressful situations. When you’re constantly running in emergency mode, your mind and body pay the price. Though we do differ in the extent to which we are stressed and the way in which we react to stress- the fact remains that all of us are affected by it in some way or the other. Some of the common warning signs and symptoms of stress include: memory problems, inability to concentrate, poor judgment, anxious or racing thoughts, irritability etc. While stress places demand on the human mind and body, with the right attitude, it can be well managed. However when stress becomes prolonged and chronic, long term stress can become too demanding and debilitating. Not only can it destroy your looks, but also your vitality and eventually your health. Here are some tips to help you in stress management.
- Keep a positive attitude and accept that there are events that you cannot control. Don’t forget to keep up your sense of humor. Laughter goes a long way towards making you feel relaxed.
- Set limits appropriately and learn to say no to requests that would create excessive stress in your life.
- Eating a well balanced diet will help you feel better in general. Your meals should be full of vegetables, whole grains and lean proteins.
- You need to set aside time for things you enjoy. Try to do something every day that makes you feel good and help relieve your stress. Relaxing hobbies include reading, knitting, doing puzzles etc
- Be assertive instead of aggressive. Assert your feelings, opinions, or beliefs instead of becoming angry, defensive, or passive.
- If things are bothering you, talking about them can help lower your stress. You can talk to family members, a trusted friend etc
- Seek treatment with a counselor or other mental health professional trained in stress management
The Role of Exercise in Health and Wellness
Your body is much like a machine and it needs to move! Regular exercise helps to control your weight by using excess calories and prevents several diseases. It does not matter what type of physical activity you perform- sports, planned exercise, household chores, or work – related tasks are all beneficial. Studies show that even the most inactive people can gain significant health benefits if they accumulate 30 minutes or more on physical activity per day. Regular physical activity, combined with healthy eating habits, is the most efficient and healthful way to control your weight. Whether you are trying to lose or maintain it, you should understand the important role of physical activity and include it in your lifestyle.